Pro-Level Care for Athletes and Sports Injuries
A strong sports medicine program is vital to keeping athletes safe, fit and at the top of their game — and it’s critical to preserving their future health and wellbeing. At the Tulane Institute of Sports Medicine, taking care of athletes is what we do. We know it takes a team, so our physicians, athletic trainers, physical therapists and other professionals work together to get you back in the game as safely and quickly as possible. We also offer education and support for athletes and coaches at all levels. And we work with parents to help them take the best care of their young athletes.
The Tulane Institute of Sports Medicine was selected to provide medical care and support for former NFL players through The Trust, set up by the National Football League Player Association (NFLPA). And the NFL Player Care Foundation partners with the Tulane University School of Medicine to conduct its Healthy Body and Mind screening program.
The Specialized Care You Deserve
Whether you’re a student, professional or weekend warrior, we consider you an athlete. And no matter what kind of athlete you are, you deserve the kind of care professionals turn to, tailored to your needs and goals. The Tulane Institute of Sports Medicine can help you perform at your best, prevent injuries and safeguard your future quality of life.
Our expertise has earned us national respect, and our programs and partnerships serve athletes across the community and beyond:
- The Tulane Institute of Sports Medicine was selected to provide medical care and support for former NFL players through The Trust, set up by the National Football League Player Association (NFLPA). And the NFL Player Care Foundation partners with the Tulane University School of Medicine to conduct its Healthy Body and Mind screening program.
- We’re the official sports medicine provider for all Tulane and Loyola University New Orleans student athletes and more than 25 area high schools.
- Our weekend clinic and other services for student athletes serve athletic programs across the region and help our state’s young people have safe, positive sports experiences.
- Our athletic trainers work with athletes and teams to improve performance, prevent injuries and make the most of strengths and capabilities.
- Our Sports Medicine Rehabilitation program offers physical therapy and other services tailored for your condition, sport and goals.
- Concussion prevention and management is a top priority for all sports, and we offer education, monitoring and treatment for all athletes and ages.
- The Tulane Dance Medicine Center provides specialized treatment for injured professional, student or amateur dancers and conducts research on preventing and treating movement-related injuries.
- Our Center for Sport provides physical and mental healthcare, as well as financial, legal and educational planning for current and former professionals of any sport.
Advanced Treatment for Sports-Related Injuries
Because we’re experts in injuries and risks related to all kinds of sports, we know how to treat them effectively, when it’s safe to get back to your sport, and how to help prevent future problems. From diagnosis through repair or treatment and rehabilitation, we’ll work with you to ensure your best possible outcome.
Some conditions and injuries we commonly treat and manage include:
- Fractures (broken bones)
- Dislocations (joint injury that forces bones from their normal positions)
- Sprains (wrenching or twisting of ligaments, the short bands of tissue connecting bones or cartilage or holding together a joint)
- Tendinitis (inflammation of the cord attaching muscle to a bone)
- Tendon injuries (injury of the cord attaching muscle to bone)
- Repetitive motion injuries
- ACL injuries (overstretching or tearing of the anterior cruciate ligament in the middle of the knee)
- Labral tear in the shoulder (tear in the rubbery tissue that helps keep the ball of the shoulder in place)
Call (504) 988-8476 to schedule an appointment.