Direct Access Colonoscopy Screening Process
Who meets criteria:
- Patients over age 50
- African American patients over 45
- Patients with family/personal history of colon cancer
- Patients with personal/family history of adenomatous polyps
- Transplant workup patients
Referral packet checklist:
- Recent H&P
- Patient demographics
- Initiate referral in eCW (internal)
- Place in outgoing referral
- Select gastroenterology
- Assign endo coordinator:
- Place in “Open” status
- Select screening colonoscopy
- Physician order (external)
- Labs < 1 year
- EKG < 1 year
- Cardiology notes (if applicable)
- Referring MD name/phone #/fax #
- Patient will be scheduled for PAT, if indicated
- Procedure and bowel prep will be ordered by GI Provider
- Patient will be notified to confirm appointment at 7-day and again at 2-day prior to procedure.
- Bowel prep instructions will be provided to the patient by the Endoscopy Coordinators.
- Internal referrals will be notified at the completion of the procedure via eCW.
- Operative Report will be faxed to the Referring Physician.
- Patient will be notified of biopsy results by the GI Fellow.
- Biopsy results may be viewed in Meditech.
Tulane Medical Center
1415 Tulane Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70112
(504) 988-0979 / (504) 988-0978