Helping You Get Back to Your Life and Your Sport
When you’ve been injured or had surgery, sports medicine rehabilitation can help you get back your strength, coordination and functioning. The physical and speech therapists at the Tulane Institute of Sports Medicine — many with advanced degrees and special certifications — serve athletes, and we know how to get you back to your life and your sport as soon and safely as possible.
The first step is a thorough evaluation of your muscle strength, endurance, power and movement quality. Then we’ll create a rehabilitation plan using targeted exercise programs, technology and manual therapy to help you recover.
Depending on your needs and condition, your treatment might include:
- Speech therapy for concussion: Our speech therapists are experienced in working with athletes. They can help you improve your communication skills, as well as your focus, memory and mental sharpness after a concussion.
- Physical therapy: Our specially trained physical therapists work with you to help you build strength, regain movement and prevent further injury. Our physical therapy team offers:
- Rehabilitation for sprains and strains
- Return-to-sport screening
- Manual therapy, including joint mobilizations and instrument-assisted soft tissue manipulation
- Conditioning using isokinetic testing to test muscle strength and help pinpoint muscles and movements that are causing pain or other problems
- Sport-specific movement assessment on our turf field outside the Reily Center
- Rehabilitation from surgery, including anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction, rotator cuff repairs and other procedures
- Treatment for back and neck pain
- Management of inner ear and balance problems
- Treatment and management of arthritis
- Aquatic therapy in our in-house therapy pool
- Therapy on our Alter-G® Anti-Gravity Treadmill® to reduce joint impact and pain while rehabilitating
Call (504) 988-8476 to schedule an appointment.