Unique care specifically designed for the former professional athlete
The Professional Athlete Care Team (PACT) at the Tulane Institute for Sports Medicine is a new care model designed to meet needs of former professional athletes. Our focus is supporting athletes’ health and safety both on and off the field.
Privacy and transparency are hallmarks of the program, allowing former professional athletes the freedom to discuss their health in an open, trusting environment. The PACT program also uses athletic trainers as navigators to provide former athletes with a higher level of comfort and familiarity.
The program begins with an assessment that provides former players with facilitated access to comprehensive evaluation and treatment plans. Those plans target and reduce potential health risks, promote overall wellness and determine any potential health problems. Assessments are conducted in a private, new clinic located in Tulane Medical Center in downtown New Orleans.
Each athlete participating in an assessment is assigned a dedicated care manager who will ensure rapid access to medical care, facilitate communication and coordinate prompt care. Following the initial evaluation, the athlete will receive an individualized treatment plan with resources to access the recommended treatments. The athlete will also be provided follow-up contact after the initial evaluation, along with copies of the evaluation results and treatment plans.
PACT assessments include:
- VIP/Priority Service
- Care Manager
- The care manager is an athletic trainer who will assist you in navigating through the assessment and assist with coordinating follow-up care.
- Neurological Evaluation
- This evaluation involves comprehensive testing to assess how your brain functions.
- Transition/Family Counseling by a Clinical Psychologist
- Orthopaedic and Brain Imaging
- Orthopaedic Evaluation (Including Spine and Upper and Lower Extremity)
- Blood Work
- The blood work will test for general health markers such as cholesterol, testosterone, PSA and glucose level.
- Physical Therapy Evaluation
Other services are available depending upon the needs of the athlete, including:
- Cardiology Evaluation
- Urology Evaluation
- Ophthalmology Evaluation
- Hearing Evaluation and Balance Testing
- Ear, Nose and Throat (Otolaryngology) Evaluation
- Occupational Therapy
- Dietary Consultation with a Sports Nutritionist
- Speech Language Evaluation
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call (504) 988-8468.