Exceptional Heart and Vascular Treatment in New Orleans
If you’re living with a heart condition, you’re not alone – statistics show that almost 30 million Americans live with a heart disease diagnosis. In fact, one in every four deaths in the United States is related to heart disease.
Exciting advances in medicine and surgery are allowing people with heart problems to live longer — and better — than ever before. Whether you need routine care for an abnormal heart rhythm, or minimally invasive surgery to fix a blocked coronary artery or a heart valve that’s not working properly, Tulane Medical Center can help.
Setting new standards for heart care in the Gulf South region
Because Tulane is an academic medical center, our heart and vascular specialists are on the front lines of both treatment and discovery, engaged at the bedside and in the laboratory. This means we can provide our patients the latest, research-driven medical and surgical care — often before it’s available at other hospitals. And it means we can treat virtually any heart or vascular condition, including complex disorders once considered too difficult to treat with conventional methods.
Because our doctors are at the top of their field in terms of training and experience, they are often called upon to train other physicians. In addition to training tomorrow’s top heart and vascular specialists here at Tulane University School of Medicine, our doctors travel to other U.S. medical institutions and teach their peers how to perform innovative new procedures such as chronic total occlusion percutaneous coronary intervention.
Tulane is also home to the Grace Anne Dorney Pulmonary and Cardiac Rehabilitation Center, offering specialized rehab to help you recover and build your heart’s strength. Our cardiac rehab professionals will work closely with your heart care team to create a rehab plan, including monitored exercise, counseling, education and support.
The hospital also blends expert clinical care with the considerate, Southern hospitality that New Orleans is known for. Our team has heart, and our priority is taking care of yours.
Services & Treatments
Heart and Vascular Conditions Treated at Tulane
- Abnormal heart rhythm (arrhythmias), including atrial fibrillation
- Birth defects (also known as congenital heart disease), including holes in the heart and pulmonary valve stenosis
- Congestive heart
- Heart attack (myocardial infarction)
- High cholesterol and triglycerides (hyperlipidemia)
- Valve disease, including mitral valve prolapse and leaky valves (valvular insufficiency)
- Aortic disease, including aortic aneurysm and aortic dissection
- Chest pain (angina)
- Coronary artery disease, including chronic total occlusion
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Peripheral artery disease (PAD), also known as peripheral vascular disease
- Varicose veins
Heart Disease Diagnosis & Treatment
Our doctors offer the full spectrum of diagnostic procedures and evidence-based treatments, including the latest endovascular (minimally invasive) techniques designed to reduce complications and recovery time. Our services include:
- Advanced cardiac and vascular imaging procedures, including carbon dioxide angiography, electrocardiogram (EKG), intravascular ultrasound and 64-slice computed tomography (CT) scanning
- Non-invasive testing including exercise stress tests, Holter monitoring and tilt table tests
- Implantable devices, including pacemakers, cardiac defibrillators and left ventricular assist devices (LVADs)
- Vascular and endovascular surgery for peripheral artery disease, including endarterectomy, angioplasty, stenting and arterial bypass surgery
- Electrophysiology (EP) studies
- Cardiovascular and thoracic surgery, including heart valve repair or replacement and coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG)
- Interventional procedures, including percutaneous coronary intervention and transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
- Endovenous laser therapy for varicose veins